On December 13, 2018 the AER released a new edition of Directive 060, which included the updates required to industry flaring, incinerating, and venting practices for the reduction of methane emissions from the upstream oil and gas industry.
Significant changes to Directive 060 include the following:
- Enforcement of a site Overall Vent Gas limit (OVG) of 15.0 E3m3/month/site or 9.0 tonnes of methane/month/site
- Enforcement of a site Defined Vent Gas limit (DVG) of <3.0 E3m3/month/site or <1.8 tonnes of methane/month/site starting January 1, 2022 (which includes venting from pneumatic devices, glycol dehydrators, and compressor seals)
- Requirement to prevent or control vent gas from existing pneumatic level controllers, and other pneumatic instruments by January 1, 2023.
- Enforcement of existing reciprocating compressor seal fleet vent gas limits of <0.83 m3/hour/throw, with no compressor venting gas over 5.00 m3/hr/throw, and periodic compressor seal testing requirements.
- Enforcement of triannual or annual fugitive emissions surveys, depending on facility type.
- Submission of an Annual Methane Report to the AER.
- Record keeping requirements for 4 years of all inventory, emissions, calculations, and documentation of all the requirements within Section 8.
Related: Read all the new requirements, refer to Section 8 of the new Directive 060
These new requirements dramatically increase the amount of information companies will have to track and manage on a monthly and annual basis, to ensure compliance with the limits and emissions reduction requirements.
Envirosoft's customers will be able to use our Emission ManagerTM application to perform the emissions calculations required by this new edition of Directive 060 for the Annual Methane Report. This further increases the value of the application in centralizing all emissions data, including all federal and provincial greenhouse gas and air contaminant reporting, ensuring consistency and transparency. Companies will be able to use Emission ManagerTM as the analysis tool to provide the data to kickoff emissions reductions projects, and demonstrate reductions achieved on completion of the project.
For more information on Envirosoft's Emission ManagerTM application, please schedule a demo here.